Our utility client’s Technology Delivery group expressed its desire to engage PMOLink to assist with organizing and deploying a Project Management Office (PMO) in order to better manage and track costs of projects. Various aspects of a PMO already existed; however, there was no formality or oversight. The portfolio of projects included, but was not limited to, Sarbanes-Oxley and NERC Cyber Security.
PMOLink recommended leveraging the existing processes and resources in setting up a PMO. PMOLink provided a program manager to provide oversight. In addition, PMOLink provided services including scheduling, metrics, training, process modeling, document management, and project selection/prioritization.
PMOLink implemented a program management framework based on Project Management Institute’s PMBOK (Project Management Body of Knowledge) to setup the PMO. The scope of work to implement the PMO involved five phases including, but not limited to, activities such as defining roles and responsibilities, developing project plans, training, performance management, defining/documenting processes, communication, toolsets, and continuous improvement.
- Projects managed using standardized processes and program oversight
- Process documentation to meet the audit requirements of SOX and NERC projects
- Program management toolsets for project planning and tracking were implemented
- Projects prioritized and selected/rejected based on business cases
- Central repositories for project documentation